Log on |  Join ($$)
BankInvestor.com Home BankInvestor.com HomeBankInvestor.com Home
Community IPO Research Stock Quotes BDCinvestor.com ValueForum.com
search discussion:      

These ratings are posted by site users; this content is not intended to be investment advice, nor does it represent the opinion of, counsel from, or recommendations by Bankinvestor.com

GPT
Strong Buy 
 75.00%
3 members
Buy 
 0.00%
0 members
Hold 
 25.00%
1 members
Sell 
 0.00%
0 members
Strong Sell 
 0.00%
0 members
 
Average rating: 1.50 (Strong Buy) 1.00 - 5.00 (Strong Sell) Total: 4 members

Annual growth of GPT:

NOTE: areas highlighted in blue indicate that this user is sharing the highlighted information with their private group ONLY

Feb. 5 2004, 08:24 AM ET
Nearest price: 30.00 (05/21/13)
by Tier1 (profile)
(all of Tier1's ratings)
rating:
Hold
(Previous rating: Hold,
on Feb. 5 2004, 08:23 AM ET)
[ Comments shared with private group only ]
 
Jul. 18 2003, 10:23 PM ET
Nearest price: 30.00 (05/21/13)
by corvettekid (profile)
(all of corvettekid's ratings)
rating:
Strong Buy
(Previous rating: Strong Buy,
on Jul. 18 2003, 10:22 PM ET)
Q2 2003 Update: You could say they missed by a penny, but estimates had been rising for weeks and months leading up to the quarter so that would be harsh. Pipeline is solid, company is less affected by refis than others, No-Doc continues to plug along, Alt-A is strong.

2 dividend boosts within 3 months (!) and continued strong buybacks. Stock is splitting, which could be the prelude to an accretive acquisition (Astoria? ICBC? DCOM? FFIC?). This company is a free cash flow machine.

TJ is on the horn saying he's not averse to selling, but wants to buy first and then sell. Either way, stock should move up.

Stock is still too cheap. It sold for 6X earnings in March 2000 and sells for 9X earnings now? Sorry, that can't be what they call a peak multiple.
_________________________________________________________



Q4/2002 UPDATE: GPT reported an outstanding quarter. The pipeline is still decent, NCO's are neglible, credit quality is very good, and the average LTV is 65%. FICO scores for originations and held-for-sales is over 700: solid "A" category. The company is earning over 2% on ROA and over 25% on ROE. BV and Tangible BV
increased by 20% and 25%, respectively, from year-ago levels.

I do not understand the bears case on this stock. Not only are credit quality and asset quality issues not present, but if one were concerned with them, it would seem that GPT would be a stock to run to. Trading at under 8X earnings, the stock is discounting nothing. You still have a takeout possibility (5% chance), an accretive merger possibility (40% chance) and continued earnings strength (55% chance) to boost the stock price.

If average LTV's of 65% combined with FICO scores of over 700 represent any major risk -- short of a 1989-91 real estate implosion -- I'd be happy to hear the bears case.
___________________________________________



The company is a prodigous generator of cash. The balance sheet is good, and as earnings hold up, should be strenghtened. The dividned is in line to be raised next year -- the payout ratio is at historical lows. The company actively buys back it's own stock and there has been modest net reductions over the years.

I would be the first to admit I have a sentimental soft-spot for GPT (my 1st conversion) but I look at a company which is expected to earn $5.50 this year and next and I have a hard time saying it's not a STRONG BUY at 8X earnings. Maybe I should rate it BUY, but I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt (which I am sure will be countermanded by others!).

Still, this is a great way to play the mortgage market over the next 5 years. GPT has 1.3% of the national mortgage market and they want to get that up to 3% or so. Alot easier for them to grow market share and their asset base than a Fannie or Freddie. A takeover is always possible, and with a dividend discount model price of at least $65 as fair value, I would expect a premium if one occurs.

Was this user's rating of 'GPT' helpful to you? Thumbs Up -- this Stock Rating was helpful Thumbs Down -- this Stock Rating was not helpful
Currently: 
 2 said yes (of 2 -- 100.00%)

 
Nov. 27 2002, 11:22 AM ET
Nearest price: 30.00 (05/21/13)
by DAVID (profile)
(all of DAVID's ratings)
rating:
Strong Buy
[ No comment ]

Was this user's rating of 'GPT' helpful to you? Thumbs Up -- this Stock Rating was helpful Thumbs Down -- this Stock Rating was not helpful

 
Nov. 25 2002, 8:04 PM ET
Nearest price: 30.00 (05/21/13)
by stkinv00 (profile)
(all of stkinv00's ratings)
rating:
Strong Buy
I to have owned GPT since the IPO. Tom Johnson and his management team could run a bank 3x's this size and make a ton of money. I would like them to raise their dividend too. With the cash they are generating continuing share repurchasers will bring value to this name. I think if they could hook up with a bigger name like AF they would be able to survive for a while longer otherwise I see WM or C taking them over for at least $75. in two years $90 if they continue to perform as promised. This is one of my 3 favorite names.

Was this user's rating of 'GPT' helpful to you? Thumbs Up -- this Stock Rating was helpful Thumbs Down -- this Stock Rating was not helpful
Currently: 
 0 said yes (of 1 -- 0.00%)

 

 • Click here to add your rating to GPT!
 • More group stock ratings


Nothing in BankInvestor.com is intended to be investment advice, nor does it represent the opinion of, counsel from, or recommendations by Bankinvestor.com. ©2019 info@bankinvestor.com About Us Contact Us How To Privacy Policy Terms Of Use
 image www.bankinvestor.com is the premier online investment club with a focus on and after-market bank investing opportunities. Site content powered in part by stock ticker and financial content provider, TickerTech.com. Be sure to look at our sister site for stock market message boards, trading tips and research, ValueForum.com.